Evolution Modding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cars, Skins and Tracks for GTL/GTR2

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inDonate
Donate
Support

Evolution Modding

or to Hubert-1@gmx.de

COSTS PER YEAR: 150€The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Pixel
Donated: 75€

Top posters
GeeDee
The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Vote_lcapThe car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Voting_barThe car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
jeannomiller
The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Vote_lcapThe car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Voting_barThe car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
ney.dias
joeschmoe
MOF
MG421982
nikbear
Vanaja
fatguts
alain62
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 331 on Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:25 am

The car you always promised yourself...

Go down 
+18
GeeDee
DarkSide
ney.dias
drionita
Vanaja
jeannomiller
charger69
Cheeveer
MG421982
joeschmoe
freeracer
fisheracing
brulaap
CX650
ericgtl
carTOON
philrob
Zee
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DarkSide

DarkSide

Anzahl der Beiträge : 480

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Nov 2019, 4:10 pm

Enjoy some pictures of '70s special saloons below!

- 1974 Brands Hatch Ford Sport Day - https://www.robertclayson.co.uk/p608734625
- 1974 Silverstone (notice the appearance of the SVA Camaro of Gardner, usually an ETCC runner that year and the Howes AMC Javelin too) - https://www.robertclayson.co.uk/p989729046

- PS this photo archive is also useful for the 1974 BSCC mod project as there are some pictures from a few meetings that year Punk
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 917

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Nov 2019, 4:59 pm

Yeah, It's a good site that  thumbup  I've been pouring over it for ages but there's not much stuff out there for the tin tops of that era and when you find it the pics are usually black and white or blurry Rolling Eyes
Any info is welcome though, there may be something I need to finish a skin... bounce
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 12:39 pm

Bit more progress to report... Smile
I've painted Mick Hill's Boss 2 car (and corrected the wrongly positioned black rear panel on Boss 1 Wink ) but I'm not 100% happy with the shadow around the front splitter yet;

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Boss_210

I've also spent a lot of time sorting out a logo on Tony Strawson's Capri which got me thinking...

It should be straightforward skinning a car. You get a few pix together, download a few logos and then replicate it in your favourite art package thumbup  Easy enough with the latest racers but the problems really start when your thing is the 60's and 70's Shocked

This was a time when sponsorship became the norm but photos were still either black and white and/or low res. Add to that they're thin on the ground these days too and you can lose a huge chunk of your life trying to get the right one for a skin.

Case in point with Tony's car: there's a trianglular logo just behind the rear wheels that took some real detective work to find. I had to read loads of postings before I discovered the car was painted by a guy called Liam Churchill. Turns out he also painted Funny cars around the same time and after searching old dragster images I found 1 side on pic with the logo on it bounce

It wasn't usable from the image but I could paint over it to recreate it as a layer. Even that took ages: finding a similar font that had to be stretched and manipulated and scaled all for this;

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb11

The point I'm making is that while most people will barely notice it I know it would drive me mad if it wasn't right. It might also help answer the question as to why mods and skins take so bloody long to do scratch Rolling Eyes

So the Capris will be released eventually, it's just that these things take time Peace

Just remember: don't hold your breath lol!
Back to top Go down
ney.dias

ney.dias

Anzahl der Beiträge : 2380

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

Zee wrote:
The point I'm making is that while most people will barely notice it I know it would drive me mad if it wasn't right. It might also help answer the question as to why mods and skins take so bloody long to do scratch Rolling Eyes

Precisionism is an art, and you, my dear friend Mel, are a Master in doing your job with high precisionism. Congrats! Keep going! cheers GOOD I Am Not Worthy Thanks wheelchair
Back to top Go down
Vanaja
Premium Member
Premium Member
Vanaja

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1180

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 3:05 pm

ney.dias wrote:
Zee wrote:

Precisionism is an art, and you, my dear friend Mel, are a Master in doing your job with high precisionism. Congrats! Keep going! cheers GOOD I Am Not Worthy Thanks wheelchair
Ditto thumbup2
Back to top Go down
jeannomiller
Admin
jeannomiller

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3456

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 3:47 pm

Great work GOOD Thanks

Jeannomiller
Back to top Go down
DarkSide

DarkSide

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 5:53 pm

I seem to remember someone doing both the white and the dark brown livery for the Capri Perana mod, but I don't think the brown one had the Strawberries on it - what's the story on that? Some covert Beatles sponsorship maybe? Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 7:50 pm

DarkSide wrote:
I seem to remember someone doing both the white and the dark brown livery for the Capri Perana mod, but I don't think the brown one had the Strawberries on it - what's the story on that? Some covert Beatles sponsorship maybe? Razz Razz
Yeah, that was me Smile I also did the Boss 1 car and Mick Hill's blue Tricentrol livery but the Peranas weren't too accurate for Special Saloons.

I did put strawberries on the roof of the old version, in fact I reused a lot of the logos on the newer cars. The reason for it was that 'Strawberry' was Tony Strawson's nickname so he painted one on the roof every time he won a race!

I like your Beatles theory though... Thinking cool
Back to top Go down
DarkSide

DarkSide

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Dec 2019, 10:43 pm

Hm, indeed, I must have had that skin in my game for the better part of 5 years and I've used it in many custom grids and never noticed up until now! lol!
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 4040
Ort : 1 hour from Croft and enough distance from Rick & Ney

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Dec 2019, 5:40 am

I'm totaly with you about the time it takes to paint a skin of an old racer, so time consuming that you spend more time on research than actually doing the skin by a long way and very frustrating at times.

The reward to yourself is immense when completed, but as you say, who would know the amount of work it took.

Thank you for your dedication Mel m8, much appreciated from me at least. stroke I Am Not Worthy thumbup2
Back to top Go down
Andy Clegg

Anzahl der Beiträge : 65

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Dec 2019, 9:15 am

There are many photos on here including a few of mine. https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836&highlight=super+saloons
Back to top Go down
Andy Clegg

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Dec 2019, 10:33 am

See post 11 on this thread. Might help. https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80167&highlight=strawson+capri
Back to top Go down
fisheracing

fisheracing

Anzahl der Beiträge : 326

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptyFri 13 Dec 2019, 3:17 pm

Nice find Andy!

Posted by Tony 'Strawberry' Strawson's daughter 'Strawberry Strawson':

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb10

Originally Posted by Alan Raine:
I have found a b/w photo of the strawberry roof.
Not very good pic. Black & White on a very dull, damp, misty, Silverstone morning in the 70's, but you can just about make out the Strawberries on the roof!

Tony 'Strawberry' Strawson's #17 Capri

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Tony_s10
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 1:45 am

How extrawbenarry! :w00t:
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 6:35 am

fisheracing wrote:
Nice find Andy!

Posted by Tony 'Strawberry' Strawson's daughter 'Strawberry Strawson':

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb10

Originally Posted by Alan Raine:
I have found a b/w photo of the strawberry roof.
Not very good pic. Black & White on a very dull, damp, misty, Silverstone morning in the 70's, but you can just about make out the Strawberries on the roof!

Tony 'Strawberry' Strawson's #17 Capri

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Tony_s10

That's the pic i nicked his signature off! Laughing  The little cartoon just behind it i found in an old issue of Car and Car Conversions if i remember correctly Thinking

Here's a comparison of the old and new versions;

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb13

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb14

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb15

The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Strawb12

The new ones are a lot closer to the real thing with the narrower body and flared arches. I also found better pix of the front and rear so i could get the logos right this time too Very Happy

I'm on with the Red Rovers car at the moment and it looks like something out of Mad Max... eek
Back to top Go down
fatguts

fatguts

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1155

PostSubject: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 8:56 am

Looking really good especially the strawberrys thumbup
Back to top Go down
Andy Clegg

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 9:28 am

I used to watch as much of these as possible when they were racing at Oulton Park.
Back to top Go down
ney.dias

ney.dias

Anzahl der Beiträge : 2380

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 12:51 pm

@ Zee! Wow! Those wheels are a dream! How nice, very nice indeed. Speachless for the car, obvious, because it is magic. Congrats, Mel, dear friend! cheers GOOD Thanks I Am Not Worthy I Am Not Worthy I Am Not Worthy I Am Not Worthy wheelchair
Back to top Go down
jeannomiller
Admin
jeannomiller

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3456

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 1:12 pm

Great great, great !!!

Jeannomiller
Back to top Go down
fisheracing

fisheracing

Anzahl der Beiträge : 326

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 1:57 pm

Just wonderful work going on here ! Thank you Mel. cheers
Back to top Go down
Andy Clegg

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 2:32 pm

I don't have Mick Hill's Capri but I have most of the Supersaloons from 1975 if you need any photos.
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 7:08 pm

Andy Clegg wrote:
I don't have Mick Hill's Capri but I have most of the Supersaloons from 1975 if you need any photos.

Any photos of that era are welcome mate thumbup  Quite often you can spot something you need in the background so pit pix are welcome too Thanks
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019, 8:03 pm

Strawberries car is looking mighty fresh there Mel m8... great stuff young man, proud of ya!!! GOOD stroke top
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 15 Dec 2019, 5:36 am

GeeDee wrote:
Strawberries car is looking mighty fresh there Mel m8... great stuff young man, proud of ya!!! GOOD stroke top

Do ya think making the Strawberry car counts towards my 'five a day'? Laughing
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 EmptySun 15 Dec 2019, 8:31 pm

Zee wrote:
GeeDee wrote:

Do ya think making the Strawberry car counts towards my 'five a day'? Laughing
As the 'Geordies' (Tyneside gabble) would say "Whey I man" Punk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The car you always promised yourself...   The car you always promised yourself... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The car you always promised yourself...
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Evolution Modding :: Evolution Modding :: New Projects-
Jump to: