Evolution Modding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cars, Skins and Tracks for GTL/GTR2

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inDonate
Donate
Support

Evolution Modding

or to Hubert-1@gmx.de

COSTS PER YEAR: 150€Various code line explanations? Pixel
Donated: 75€

Top posters
GeeDee
Various code line explanations? Vote_lcapVarious code line explanations? Voting_barVarious code line explanations? Vote_rcap 
jeannomiller
Various code line explanations? Vote_lcapVarious code line explanations? Voting_barVarious code line explanations? Vote_rcap 
ney.dias
joeschmoe
MOF
MG421982
nikbear
Vanaja
fatguts
alain62
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

dbstreet

Most users ever online was 331 on Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:25 am

Various code line explanations?

Go down 
+5
jghinkle
fatguts
philrob
WHIPCRACKER
freeracer
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Uncomman

Uncomman

Anzahl der Beiträge : 271

Various code line explanations? Empty
PostSubject: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 2:34 pm

What do these code lines mean, in other words what do the syntax variables express and how can they be used?

1. RideHeightRange=(0.110, 0.005, Cool
RideHeightSetting=0

I often come across a car that is sitting too high on the suspension (the BMW CLS Alpina for example) and I have made adjustments to these numbers but because I have no idea what each number stand for, I'm really guessing. In two cases now I have caused cars to run around with their noses in the air, disconnected from the chassis.

2. SteerLockRange=(5.0, 0.5, 71)
SteerLockSetting=26

I suspect SteerLockSetting=26 means the initial setting is 26 but 26 what's? And what do the individual numbers mean in the first line? I very seldom see explanations in the .hc files for these parameters

3. ComparativeTime=117

I tested this exhaustively. It does NOT enable one to make this specific car go slower or faster. So what does it do, and what can I use to make, say, works cars go faster than privateers other than my current method which is to create separate .hdc files for them?

4. I have seen some people talk about the LCD display, as in what I perceive to be a lap timer on the dashboard. Mine has never worked. I saw a line in a CAR file:

DigitalDisplays=1
Display1Instance=MOTEC

It's missing in other .CAR files - is this the line that switches on the LCD timer?

I have a full heads-up display while driving in cockpit mode but for me the LCD timer would be a nice-to-have.

Please!

Last edited by Uncomman on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WHIPCRACKER

WHIPCRACKER

Anzahl der Beiträge : 279

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 3:55 pm

1. RideHeightRange=(0.110, 0.005, 8
RideHeightSetting=0

.110=base height

0.005=height increments

8==number of increments you can change from base

rideheightsetting=0---that's the setting the car defaults to---in other words 0.110 but you can raise it up to 8 increments which would be 0.150 ride height

hope that's clear and it helps you.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 4:01 pm

WHIPCRACKER wrote:

1. RideHeightRange=(0.110, 0.005, 8
RideHeightSetting=0

.110=base height

0.005=height increments

8==number of increments you can change from base

rideheightsetting=0---that the setting the car defaults to---in other words 0.110

Base height in what measures? Metres? Unless I have a unit of measure the syntax is meaningless?

And how can I change these to make the car lower? If you change the base height too much the body disconnects from the chassis. I'm not talking about changing the ride height for a car I am driving but for the mod in general.
Back to top Go down
WHIPCRACKER

WHIPCRACKER

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 4:13 pm

It would be meters----lowering the car is different it's in a different place but at the moment I can,t remember where.

I'll look and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

Okay cool thanks again!
Back to top Go down
WHIPCRACKER

WHIPCRACKER

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

GraphicalOffset=(0.0, -0.01, 0.0) this is how you raise or lower car so it looks right---it's in the top part of the .hdc file around the CG area. I think it's the first number but You may have to experiment because I haven't needed to do this for a while.

hmmmmm----probably the second number is the right one
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

Thanks okay will try that!
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

YES! Did the job perfectly. Much obliged thumbup2
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

Anzahl der Beiträge : 174

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

Uncomman wrote:

[...]
2. SteerLockRange=(5.0, 0.5, 71)
SteerLockSetting=26

I suspect SteerLockSetting=26 means the initial setting is 26 but 26 what's? And what do the individual numbers mean in the first line? I very seldom see explanations in the .hc files for these parameters

[...]

Same as above, just steering lock numbers are degrees, so here we start at 5.0 degrees, each increment raises your steering lock by 0.5 degrees, and the whole thing has 71 increments, so at SteerLockSetting=26, we have 5.0° + 26 * 0.5° = 18°

Edit: Be wary of the graphical offset line, despite what it says, it does affect physics.
Back to top Go down
freeracer

freeracer

Anzahl der Beiträge : 696

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 5:01 am

Thanks for asking, and thanks for responding.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 5:21 am

0fflabeluse wrote:

Edit: Be wary of the graphical offset line, despite what it says, it does affect physics.

Yup, I dropped the Jag XJS (1984 ETCC), which I thought was rolling excessively and because of that oversteering a lot; once it was lowered the handling improved. Same for the CSL Alpina.

I did the same with the Volvo Turbo.

Besides, they just look a LOT better. Smile
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 7:58 am

0fflabeluse wrote:

Same as above, just steering lock numbers are degrees, so here we start at 5.0 degrees, each increment raises your steering lock by 0.5 degrees, and the whole thing has 71 increments, so at SteerLockSetting=26, we have 5.0° + 26 * 0.5° = 18°

Thanks, understood. My reason for asking this is that I notice that most of the cars that don't come out of the pits have their steering locked to one side, which I find strange, surely they should only turn a they move forward to go out of the pits. I have altered the engine torque of those cars so that there is enough power to override the locking but some cars, like the BMW 2002 tii, refuse to go out. It's a combination of factors, sometimes its the track pits and the car is very close to, in some cases actually scraping the wall; other cars cannot get up the hill (Mullenbach) and in other cases its just the locking.

I have changed the steering settings but without any effect on the cars remaining in the pits
Back to top Go down
philrob

philrob

Anzahl der Beiträge : 487

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

Another line regarding cars leaving garages found in the AIW is:
GarageDepth=(2.8000)     numbers can be changed
determines how the car has to turn to leave the pit.

Graphical offset in the HDV also affects how high a car appears, so the middle number of the three (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) adjusts up and down

I suggest moving in 0.01 - 0.02 increments until its where you want it. Negative is obviously lower.

Be sure to leave the first and last values at "0.0". In contradiction with the standard comment which goes with that line about it not changing the physics, changing the last (Z) value affects the balance of the car.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 9:48 am

Thanks philrob the GarageDepth setting is new to me, and it sounds right, will try a few options!

Yes I've been trying various settings so I'm pretty familiar with the graphic offset now, (you meant HDC did you not?) and only been changing the middle value

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
philrob

philrob

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 11:15 am

HDV, HDC, CAS, CAR i am always getting them mixed up lol
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 12:15 pm

There is no GarageDepth= code in the Brands Hatch AIW or any of the other files in the Brands folder. Maybe it's a different prefix and syntax?
Back to top Go down
philrob

philrob

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 1:49 pm

Not all tracks have or need it, these 2 GTL have it:
Anderstorp
Donington

GarageDepth=(3.0000) GTR2

Just add it into the AIW

RainyDarkness=(1.00000,1.00000)    
GarageDepth=(3.0000)
WorstTime=(0.0000)
MidTime=(0.0000)
BestTime=(0.0000)
i dont think it really matters where.

It appears to tell the car to move so far forward before turning to leave garage spot and finding pitpath, larger number further car drives before turning
Back to top Go down
WHIPCRACKER

WHIPCRACKER

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 4:04 pm

Wow----this is turning into a very informative topic. With Nogrip gone this info is important for newbies and seasoned players too.
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 4:41 pm

My take on steering lock, though its more a guess based on personal experience, it is more a tool to cater for different controllers, but unless the number is way to small , isn't much of a concern for the AI cars. Okay, Albi excluded, the cars *always* hit the pit wall when leaving the garage, because its so tight.

I did some online oval racing on RF1 and we shared some setups with each other, and there was some guy who always had a ridiculous low steering lock numbers that didn't allow me to leave the pits at all. Unlike my (t)rusty old Momo Force with some 200-odd degrees of rotation, he used something with well over 720°.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 4:53 pm

philrob wrote:
GarageDepth=(3.0000)

It appears to tell the car to move so far forward before turning to leave garage spot and finding pitpath, larger number further car drives before turning

Brilliant! For the first time, a solution, not a workaround! All the cars went out at Brands (first time ever!!), and almost all at GPCKyalami, another one that presents problems, once I added the code. And no more locked wheels...

philrob, you are a MASTER!  I Am Not Worthy

There is something strange though: I have several cars using different engines but the same basic .HDC and yet it's the same cars that refuse to go out. I have a 1300BDA and a 2002tii that won't go out anywhere. The engines have enough bottom end torque and they share the engine and .HDC with cars that are going out, so only the skin is different. How can that affect mechanics?
Back to top Go down
hmmguy

hmmguy

Anzahl der Beiträge : 790

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 7:11 pm

the one thing to beware of regarding the graphical offset is that when you lower it, you run the risk of the tires coming through the bodywork when in compression from a dip or large bump.
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySat 27 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

Yeah I noticed that, had to raise the ones that had become too low. The default setting for the CSL is actually too low at .060, its now .045 and it works well.

Last edited by Uncomman on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Uncomman

Uncomman

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySun 28 Oct 2018, 4:25 am

0fflabeluse wrote:
My take on steering lock, though its more a guess based on personal experience, it is more a tool to cater for different controllers, but unless the number is way to small , isn't much of a concern for the AI cars. Okay, Albi excluded, the cars *always* hit the pit wall when leaving the garage, because its so tight.

I think the steering lock does have an effect on AI cars when the turning requirements are tight. I notice that many cars hit the barriers on the outside of corners at Monaco88, where the corners are very tight. But the AI should compensate, one does not require more than around 45 degrees total steering range unless you are parking.
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptySun 28 Oct 2018, 8:47 am

That's why I wrote 'unless the number is way to small'. Wink
Back to top Go down
jghinkle

Anzahl der Beiträge : 47

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018, 12:15 am

Uncomman wrote:
What do these code lines mean, in other words what do the syntax variables express and how can they be used?

3. ComparativeTime=117

I tested this exhaustively. It does NOT enable one to make this specific car go slower or faster. So what does it do, and what can I use to make, say, works cars go faster than privateers other than my current method which is to create separate .hdc files for them?

ComparativeTime is a percantage used to multiply to the Qualify Laptime and Race Laptime setting in the GDB file for the display of that cars particular laptime when sessions are skipped or exited early. For instance, in this case, comparative time of 117 (percent) is multiplied to say a Qualify Laptime of 84.000, so when you end the qualifying session early, this car will show a qualifying time of 98.28 seconds. I've determined this is for display purposes only and does not affect actual speed that the AI run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Various code line explanations?   Various code line explanations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Various code line explanations?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next