Evolution Modding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cars, Skins and Tracks for GTL/GTR2

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inDonate
Donate
Support

Evolution Modding

or to Hubert-1@gmx.de

COSTS PER YEAR: 150€Mapping in Zmodeler Pixel
Donated: 75€

Top posters
GeeDee
Mapping in Zmodeler Vote_lcapMapping in Zmodeler Voting_barMapping in Zmodeler Vote_rcap 
jeannomiller
Mapping in Zmodeler Vote_lcapMapping in Zmodeler Voting_barMapping in Zmodeler Vote_rcap 
ney.dias
joeschmoe
MOF
MG421982
nikbear
Vanaja
fatguts
alain62
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 331 on Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:25 am

Mapping in Zmodeler

Go down 
+3
fisheracing
Zee
jeannomiller
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Zee

Zee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 901

Mapping in Zmodeler Empty
PostSubject: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 04 Nov 2017, 9:34 am

Right, i'm determined not to start anything else off until i've at least learned how to map cars for myself! Rolling Eyes

I started following an old tutorial by Goresh for mapping stuff in Zmodeler and it's going well so far but i've hit a problem. The intro bit of the Tut' contains the line: "I might add you’ll need to get the plugin set that contains the Uvexport plugin."

Now i realise Zmodeler is as old as the hills and maybe i should learn on something more recent but as i'm finally getting somewhere does anyone have or know where i can get the right plugin set? I've searched all over the place and had no luck anywhere... Crying or Very sad

Failing that are there any good (as in easy to follow) tutorials out there for newer programs that you'd recommend? study scratch

Thanks guys... Wink
Back to top Go down
jeannomiller
Admin
jeannomiller

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3285

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 04 Nov 2017, 9:51 am

https://www.grandprixgames.org/read.php?4,1103574,1103639

No idea if this one is right - just found

Jeannomiller
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 04 Nov 2017, 1:13 pm

That sounds like the right one. I'll check it out later as I'm at work right now. Cheers mate! cheers
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 4040
Ort : 1 hour from Croft and enough distance from Rick & Ney

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 05 Nov 2017, 9:29 pm

Zee wrote:
That sounds like the right one. I'll check it out later as I'm at work right now. Cheers mate! cheers

Hey up Zee tha's doin' a crackin' job lad. I hope thee finds whet thez lookin' f'wer.

Ron123 might be just the guy to ask. tongue
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 05 Nov 2017, 10:13 pm

jeannomiller wrote:
https://www.grandprixgames.org/read.php?4,1103574,1103639

No idea if this one is right - just found

Yep, they're the right ones! cheers  I've just got to keep at it now and it'll get into my brain eventually lol!
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 05 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Zee wrote:

Hey up Zee tha's doin' a crackin' job lad. I hope thee finds whet thez lookin' f'wer.

Ron123 might be just the guy to ask. tongue

A reckon i ev fon it nar sither an' a can't get mi breath tha nos Wink
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyThu 09 Nov 2017, 8:42 pm

Hey, i can map stuff! jumping0045

Mapping in Zmodeler Mappin10

Early days yet but at least i'm getting somewhere bounce The hood is just to test and came off a mk1 Capri from the game 'Racer'. It's low poly but very accurate looking. Half the car is mapped, the other half mirrored so i want to do the whole thing now.

I've also learned how to make a psd with wire frame too  Shocked  Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks  Laughing
Back to top Go down
jeannomiller
Admin
jeannomiller

Anzahl der Beiträge : 3285

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyFri 10 Nov 2017, 8:23 am

GOOD Very Happy

Jeannomiller
Back to top Go down
fisheracing

fisheracing

Anzahl der Beiträge : 326

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyFri 10 Nov 2017, 1:45 pm

GOOD ... Congratulations mate... that is quite the achievement. I know the feeling. Whenever I learn something new in this hobby, I am very excited and proud of myself.

Carry-on mate. It just keeps getting better with every new trick we learn... Smile
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 4040
Ort : 1 hour from Croft and enough distance from Rick & Ney

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 11 Nov 2017, 7:25 pm

Great stuff Zee m8, now got to the top of the class and hand the pencils out Razz tongue Laughing clown

Seriously, that's a good achievment me owld Yorkshire puddin' I Am Not Worthy
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 18 Nov 2017, 8:44 am

I haven't got much further at the moment sadly, the problem is file conversion Rolling Eyes Zmodeler 1 won't load GMT's and converting them to 3ds messes up the shadows. I tried converting to .mts files and that messes them up too and while it's not as bad as 3ds Zmodeler wont load those for some reason either... Evil or Very Mad
If anyone knows a way to convert between GMT and 3ds and back again without screwing things up please let me know. It seems pointless to carry on learning mapping in Zmodeler knowing i'll never be happy with the end result.
I have a tutorial for Zmodeler 2 that covers mapping eventually but there's loads more to learn first and it seems much harder going than the Goresh tut'. At least you can load GMTs into Z2 though...  Wink
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

Anzahl der Beiträge : 174

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySat 18 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm

What programme are you trying to load the files into?
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 12:10 am

0fflabeluse wrote:
What programme are you trying to load the files into?

I'm working with GMT files in 3dSimed to get stuff in game but can't load the GMT's into Zmodeler 1 which is what the mapping tutorial is for.
I can convert the GMT's to 3ds and load those into Zmodeler for mapping but the shadows get messed up. Here's what's happening: first pic is GMT, second is 3ds;

Mapping in Zmodeler Capri_10

Mapping in Zmodeler Capri_11

It's not immediately obvious but if you look at the 3ds pic you can see issues around the front wing, side vents and 'hockey stick' molding.
So I need to find a way to work on the bodyshell in Zmodeler that allows me to convert it back to GMT and look like it does the first pic but mapped! scratch
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 2:31 pm

I know what you mean, the 3ds file format and normals (the thingies that define the reflections and shadows) are a mess. At least 3dsimed doesn't screw up the axes.

And the problem when converting the file to MTS and loading into ZM1 is the same?
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

0fflabeluse wrote:

And the problem when converting the file to MTS and loading into ZM1 is the same?
Its not as bad as the 3ds but looks 'washed out' and the mts won't load into Zmodeler Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 5:08 pm

I just tried that, 3DSE (v2) to ZM1 via MTS, worked fine, and the normals are looking good, too. May be for the car I used for testing.

You did choose the F1 2002 filter when importing, right?
Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 5:25 pm

Is that starting with a gmt? It might be because I have an older version of 3dsimed (2.6 if I remember correctly)?
I think it was F1 2002 filter but I'll have to check later...
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 19 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

No, GMT is rF and GTL/GTR. There are two versions of the MTS file format around, 4.01 for F1 2001 and 4.10 for F1 2002 and F1 Challenge. 3DSE saves in 4.10 only, so you already figured you'll have to apply the F1 2002 filter.

I have v1.14 of 3dSimEd, though. I'm running a bit out of ideas...

Back to top Go down
Zee

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyMon 20 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

In my Zmodeler the drop down menu in import has both options for mts files but it won't load either sadly.
I think I might have to persevere with Zmodeler2 Laughing
Back to top Go down
MG421982

MG421982

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1425

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyMon 20 Nov 2017, 9:57 pm

Cool! Congrats and keep it up! Wink GOOD

BTW, what about exporting/importing to/the .OBJ format, then to .GMT?

I think it's a good idea to try ZModeler 2. One of the differences is that you can work with "heavier" ( = more polygons) models without issues too.

Last edited by MG421982 on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
0fflabeluse

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyMon 20 Nov 2017, 11:44 pm

Just as you mention it, I had a MTS file yesterday ZM wouldn't load either Wink

On the other hand, I have problems exporting to GMT with ZM2. It simply generates an empty file. Header and stuff, all is there, but no polygons. Maybe ZM in general is a bit temperamental, depending on the configuration of the computer (wild speculation on my side)

The real nice thing about ZM1 is, due to its very basic, straightforward nature, its very accessable and allows you to easily learn about the important basics of modelling, without getting lost in bazillions of submenus and stuff. Some is a bit cumbersome compared to more powerful programms, but if you learned to manage them in ZM1, you easily manage them elsewhere Wink
Back to top Go down
MG421982

MG421982

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1425

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyTue 21 Nov 2017, 10:13 am

0fflabeluse wrote:
On the other hand, I have problems exporting to GMT with ZM2. It simply generates an empty file. Header and stuff, all is there, but no polygons. Maybe ZM in general is a bit temperamental, depending on the configuration of the computer (wild speculation on my side)

Happened to me. Do not know exactly what you mean with "Header and stuff", but usually it's a must to give the .GMT file the same name it has in ZModeler 2 (see the screen). If not, you'll end up with an empty .GMT file. It's a lot more problematic indeed when you have multiple materials. The only way I found to save to .GMT a model with multiple materials in ZModeler was to keep just 1 material and delete the rest, then save it to .GMT. Repeat the process until all materials are saved to .GMT format, then reunite them to 1 single model in 3DSimed. But, I reckon I'm no
ZModeler expert, so there might be some other cases when one could end up with a blank .GMT file OR there may be an easier way to save a model with multiple materials with just 1 move.

Mapping in Zmodeler Zmodel11

Zee

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptySun 26 Nov 2017, 6:53 am

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for the input thumbup I haven't had chance to try anything this week but i should be able to get back into things shortly.
Back to top Go down
freeracer

freeracer

Anzahl der Beiträge : 686

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler EmptyMon 27 Nov 2017, 6:12 am

into zm2 you need to use the "multiple export" buttom to avoid this issue

Mapping in Zmodeler Sem_ty17
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mapping in Zmodeler   Mapping in Zmodeler Empty

Back to top Go down

Mapping in Zmodeler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Evolution Modding :: Evolution Modding General :: Support-
Jump to: