Evolution Modding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cars, Skins and Tracks for GTL/GTR2

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog inDonate
Donate
Support

Evolution Modding

or to Hubert-1@gmx.de

COSTS PER YEAR: 150€Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Pixel
Donated: 75€

Top posters
GeeDee
Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Vote_lcapYour opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Voting_barYour opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Vote_rcap 
jeannomiller
Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Vote_lcapYour opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Voting_barYour opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Vote_rcap 
ney.dias
joeschmoe
MOF
MG421982
nikbear
Vanaja
fatguts
alain62
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 1 Registered, 1 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

IanDury

Most users ever online was 331 on Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:25 am

Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Boxman

The Boxman

Anzahl der Beiträge : 107
Ort : Lourinhã, Portugal (but used to live in Vila Real, doing half of the Vila Real Circuit everyday)

Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Empty
PostSubject: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyFri 02 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Hi there! In my old college town, Vila Real, opened recently a virtual racetrack place where they race, obviously, mostly in their home town racetrack, the Vila Real Circuit. I contacted them because I've been, little by little, painting the cars that raced there in the glory days between the 30s and 70s, and was wondering if they were interested in those skins.
They said they were interested and asked me how much would it cost them.
Now, I've never painted for money, does anyone have any idea how much would such work be worth charging for? Before even wondering that, is it wrong to charge for skins? I mean, I don't know exactly how does a business like that run, if they only use the cars available in the original rFactor or if they download more from sites like Evolution. Would that be wrong?
I mean, I was gonna paint them anyway for free share, but if I did, and they where going to make money out of it, I might as well make a contract that interests both parties and that is fair. Do you think I could still share them as freeware here after being painted under contract? Also, if I paint under contract, I might do a few every week, but otherwise i might just do a few every month or year.
Give me your opinion please, I really don't know what to do in this situation.
Back to top Go down
http://boxmanmods.blogspot.com/
MOF

MOF

Anzahl der Beiträge : 1975

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyFri 02 May 2014, 4:04 pm

My opinion only...

Those cars you paint for money should not be posted for free elsewhere. That's morally dishonest...

However, should you paint the cars you want and donate them to the virtual track folks, you wouldn't be in a quandary; you'd be doing what you always do, and getting no end of personal enjoyment from your efforts. You also should consider how much you'd make. If those people only want a quantifiable number of cars (say, 5-10), it may not be worth the aggravation of not releasing those 'paid for' cars to the general public\simmers, and therefore not worth the trouble.
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 4040
Ort : 1 hour from Croft and enough distance from Rick & Ney

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyFri 02 May 2014, 9:11 pm

I agree with a lot of what MOF says except I think you should charge them for the skins you do for them (and them only). If you feel it's not quite right you could always give any money you make to a charity of your choice.

As for wanting to know how much you should ask then I cannot tell you as I have no idea either, but if you are donating money to a charity then you could ask them "How much are you prepared to donate for them?"
Back to top Go down
The Boxman

The Boxman

Ort : Lourinhã, Portugal (but used to live in Vila Real, doing half of the Vila Real Circuit everyday)

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyFri 02 May 2014, 10:01 pm

Thanks for your answers! It will probably be around 200 cars, if we count only the GT and TC cars from the 60s and 70s, so once I have a finished product it kind of would be a shame not to share anywhere else. But on the other hand, since I'm doing now a full-time internship with no pay, any amount of income would be welcomed, and this would certainly be a good way to earn something with the little free time I have now, I guess...
I think I'll try my luck. Also I may be overvaluing my work, the Vila Real Circuit means a lot to me, but I don't think it means a lot to the other modders around here..
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Anzahl der Beiträge : 410

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptySun 04 May 2014, 8:50 pm

You must remember that the greatest artists of the Past died poor and they became famous after their death.Do it for free there's some sort of moral code for the skinners we do it for fun and pleasure.That way we are free to reproduce the cars and logos with copyright.If you earn money with copyrighted stuff you'll have the lawyers after you.
Back to top Go down
GeeDee
Premium Member
Premium Member
GeeDee

Anzahl der Beiträge : 4040
Ort : 1 hour from Croft and enough distance from Rick & Ney

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptySun 04 May 2014, 11:56 pm

Ned wrote:
You must remember that the greatest artists of the Past died poor and they became famous after their death.Do it for free there's some sort of moral code for the skinners we do it for fun and pleasure.That way we are free to reproduce the cars and logos with copyright.If you earn money with copyrighted stuff you'll have the lawyers after you.

Good point Ned!!
Back to top Go down
hmmguy

hmmguy

Anzahl der Beiträge : 790

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 9:31 am

GeeDee wrote:
Ned wrote:

Good point Ned!!

I completely agree with Ned about this point!
Back to top Go down
The Boxman

The Boxman

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack EmptyWed 07 May 2014, 10:29 am

Yes, I imagined that there would be for certain an unspoken moral code not to make earnings out of this, I wanted to know for sure from you guys. Either way I probably would not have time in the near future to do all that, I'll certainly still paint those skins, but on a long run future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack   Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack Empty

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on painting skins to sell to a virtual racetrack
Page 1 of 1